I saw Greg Louganis speak at the Safeco Insurance Road Show at Safeco Field today. We got to meet Greg afterwards and get our picture taken with him. What a gracious guy. And the best thing was, his inspirational speech inspired me.
It was a bit of a backflip getting up extra early, catching up on what I missed at the office afterwards, and shuffling through all the hoops of a longs series of presentations, but I landed further along than where I started from – a gainer.
Here are a few of the points I gathered from Greg’s spirited and sincere presentation:
- When things seem overwhelming on the way to your goal, do your best only in that moment. And then tackle the next moment.
- If you are above the current challenge presented to you, don’t coast through to win easily, excel at your highest level. The circumstances or others around you shouldn’t be the measure of your success. Reach beyond them and use your imagination to set your own goals of what you can be. Don’t let anyone or anything set limitations on what you could achieve.
- Don’t worry if you don’t think you can handle the intensity of your imagined highest goal. There will be many smaller challenges that will train you along the way to reaching that challenge. Use each small step to its fullest potential and you’ll be ready when you arrive at bigger ones.
- No one reaches their goals alone. Relationships are extremely important and to be treasured.
- Remember that even the smallest things you do can have a huge impact on others. Your words and deeds can be a gift to them even when you have no idea it has meaning. Don’t forget to give others your time.
I’m naming each day this year in hopes of remembering that each one is significant and has it’s own character. Today is: A Gainer